Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Political Commentary II

So, I have all this stuff floating in my head that I'm hoping if I put it in words I can get it out of my head and make room for important stuff like law school. I don't follow the stock market, mainly because I don't understand it. So maybe my ideas are too simplistic, but heck since it's easy let's try it! It seems that when ever the stock market takes a dive that it is due to some news that was reported. The news media is the spin master, so why don't they spin some of that stuff in a positive light and see if the stock market responds positively. For example the divorce statistic is about 40% of marriages end in divorce (at least when I was studying that stuff like 3 years ago). So the media could report it in one of two ways. First, nearly 50% of all marriages end in divorce. Or second, 60% of Americans have successful marriages. They both say basically the same thing, but think of how each statement make you feel. 60% of marriages survive, people play the lottery with worse odds than that. So instead of the house market took a dive or new home sales are down, compare the figures with a time when they are up. There is also the adage if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. If you can't report good things about something, find something you can. It just seems that some media outlets want America to fail. Which is rather ironic seeing as how the laws of this country give them the freedom to destroy that which allows them to survive. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. On the same note....not that I've done an in depth analysis or anything, but just a casual observation of a few things. I think about the "greatest generation" it was a book written by Tom Brokhaw. I listened to it on CD, but that is not the point. I think of the full on propaganda campaign by the government and carried out by the media of "Go USA" and support the war effort and we're proud of what we are doing. What a difference compared to the coverage of today's conflict. Not that I know much about the wars, but it seems they had a lot of the same end in mind, get rid of evil leaders and spread freedom. So why is the coverage so different? We are doing a lot of good things out there? Why isn't the media screaming on the top of the mountains about our fight to give others the right to free speech. Not to mention the rights of women being granted and protected by our armed forces. Why haven't all the so called "feminist" picked up on that? Once again, this is your host Late Night Ramblings, signing off.

3 comments:

House of Joy said...

You make several good points. I think that is why it is important to take the news with a grain of salt and to have a news source besides the liberal press...



You are one awesome chica. Proud of ya babe.

love ya

Jeff said...

Again, I totally agree with you. Did I mention you're awesome? I spoke to a man who had been in Iraq a couple years ago when they had their first elections. The streets weren't really safe, but still the first day there were 40 people in line excited for the opportunity to vote. A suicide bomber killed all 40. The next day there were over 100 people in line, risking their lives for the right to vote. I'm not saying that our administration has done everything right with the war. But, I certainly think that our media could report a little more about how much those people value the idea of freedom and democracy. Would I have voted in the last election if I thought I might be killed while I was in line?

The Muries said...

You make some very good points. I completely agree.