Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Congratulations Miss California


Although I have serious issues with beauty pageants (maybe I will post those later), I must congratulate Miss California (Carrie Prejean) for standing up for her beliefs.

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, I'll fill you in. I was listening to talk radio on my way to school and they were talking about Miss California. She was the favorite many thought she had the crown "in the bag", that was until her "controversial" answer to a question about gay marriage. Very respectfully, while recognizing the rights of others to feel differently, she stated her "opposite" view. She believes that marriage should be between a man and woman. Unfortunately, poor Miss California has been lambasted for her remarks.

The main stream media wants us to think that Miss California holds a minority view and is out of touch with the American people. However, lest we forget that in the majority of the states where same sex marriage was on the ballots, it was in most instances OVERWHELMINGLY voted down. Same sex marriage has not been successful when put to a popular vote and the only progress has been made through the court systems by judges who are overstepping their judicial bounds.

Another important idea that the main stream media wants to ignore is that ALL Americans have the right to Freedom of Speech, not just the ones who share their same view point. I may not like Perez Hilton's reaction to Miss California's answer, but I do respect his right to his opinion. I feel however, it was an unfair response. Miss California was very respectful, did not name call, or single anyone out. Mr. Hilton's attack was abrasive, personal, and hateful. He made no attempt to dissuade her with evidence or facts, but instead displayed his own stupidity and ignorance.

If we have to have a Miss America, I want one like Carrie Prejean who puts political correctness aside and stands firm by her beliefs. Thank you Miss California, for sticking to your beliefs.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I watched an interview with her where they asked if she would give a different answer if she had it to do over again. She said she definitely wouldn't. She said the only thing she would change is that maybe she would clarify her thoughts better but she would still say that marriage should be between a man and a woman. I thought it was awesome.

By the way, welcome back to the blogging world. :) It's been a while.

The Muries said...

That is awesome! Hey when is a good time to reach you? I really want to talk sometime.