Monday, November 30, 2009

If You're Happy AND You Know It....



So its finals time! It's that wonderful time of year when hopes and aspirations die and accountability stares you straight in the face, mocking your every effort. And here I am blogging. I have a page full of things I want to blog about, but I can never seem to get to it. Until that is I have something much more important and pressing that I should be doing. It also seems to be around this time that I have these crazy self-reflecting moments and I burst into tears. Why do I have to cry in the library?! Oh well....so I was about to dive into a huge pool of "Wo, Wo is ME!" when I started to accentuate the positive and sing "If you're happy and you know it...write a blog!" So I did a quick search for a picture for my blog and found the above picture at http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/200812/how-be-happy. Did you notice the end of the address where it says "How to be Happy". So I had to read it, of course. This is what the author had to say...

Women cannot become happy by pretending to be men, and men cannot become happy by pretending to be women. Swedes have already tried that, and they have failed massively and spectacularly.

What can evolutionary psychology tell us about what we as a society can do so as not to repeat the Swedish mistake and make our citizens happy? The best thing to do is to kill all the feminists and hippies and liberals. Destroy political correctness completely once and for all. Teach boys and girls that they are different, not the same, and that it’s okay (nay, wonderful) to be different. One is not right and the other is not wrong. Stop telling girls that they are inferior versions of boys, as feminists have done for the last half century, or, as has more recently been the case, stop telling boys that they are inferior versions of girls.


This is what I've been thinking all along. In fact it was on my list of things to blog about. It made me happy to have science support my belief. It's also okay that I don't find law school and work achievements nearly as fulfilling as housecleaning and cooking a good meal. It's just part of my God given nature. Law school and work will never end. But if the house is clean, even for just five minutes I feel accomplished.

Don't get me wrong. I love school. I love learning. I love to work and find it fulfilling, even if I hate my job. I still struggle with how to balance my somewhat competing natures. If ever I do get to motherhood, I can't imagine myself not working. I still struggle with the thought of having to give it all up, I mean I've been in school for a really looooooong time and want something to show for my efforts. But I guess I don't have to make that decision, yet.

This is not at all what I had planned to blog about, but here it is. Another dose of randomness from yours truly. Mwah!

4 comments:

Jeff said...

That was some excellent wisdom you shared about how to be happy. It's so great to celebrate our differences and not be ashamed by them.

Cassie Snow said...

That is a great article! :o) Glad i'm not the only one who feels that way. Miss you girlie!

House of Joy said...

Love you babe!

admin said...

I guess you either didn't notice or just glossed over this sentence:

"The best thing to do is to kill all the feminists and hippies and liberals."